Permits for very hazardous chemical products

A permit is required for sale and private use of very hazardous chemical products. The rules are national and included in a Swedish Ordinance and in the Swedish Chemical Agency’s Regulations (KIFS 2005:7).

You will need a permit either if you as a professional are placing very hazardous chemical products on the market or if you are a private user. The applicable rules can be found in §§ 7-15 in the Ordinance 2008:245 and in chapter 4 in KIFS 2017:7.

Chemical Products and Biotechnical Organisms Ordinance (2008:245) (in Swedish)

The Swedish Chemical Agency’s Chemical Products and Biotechnical Organisms Regulations (KIFS 2017:7). (in Swedish).

Very hazardous chemical products 

Very hazardous chemical products are those that on classification and labelling according to the CLP Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 are assigned at least one of the hazard classes and categories below:

Hazard pictogram GHS06: Skull and crossbones.

Acute toxicity in hazard categories 1, 2 and/or 3

Hazard pictogram GHS06: Skull and crossbones. Signal word: "Danger". 


Hazard pictogram GHS08: Health hazard.

Carcinogenicity in hazard category 1A or 1B, Germ cell mutagenicity in hazard category 1A or 1B, or Reproductive toxicity in hazard category 1A or 1B

Hazard pictogram GHS08: Health hazard. Signal word: "Danger". 


Hazard pictogram GHS08: Health hazard.Specific organ toxicity - single exposure, hazard category 1

Hazard pictogram GHS08: Health hazard. Signal word: "Danger".


Hazard pictogram GHS05: Corrosive.Skin corrosion in hazard category 1A

Hazard pictogram GHS05: Corrosive. Signal word: "Danger".


Read more about classification and labelling in Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008, the CLP Regulation.

How do I apply for a permit?

You need to apply for a permit if you as a professional place very hazardous chemical products on the market. Also, as a consumer you must apply if you need to use a very hazardous chemical product for artistic, technical, scientific or similar purpose. You need to be at least 18 years old to be able to get a permit.

You apply for a permit from the County Administration in the county where the business  is conducted. The permit is normally valid for five years.

You are yourself responsible for applying for a permit as well as for the renewal of the permit. The County Administration shall ensure that the permit applicant has sufficient competence to handle the products and that the facilities are correctly set up. The County Administration is authorised to lay down the conditions for the permit and to withdraw a permit already granted.

Go to the County Administration website. 
(in Swedish)

Exemptions from the permit requirement

There are some exemptions from the permit requirement:

  • Professional sale and private use of sodium and potassium hydroxide (as substances or as a component in a mixture), explosives or fuel oils.
  • Professional sale and private use of fuels for engine operation. However, for methanol used as fuel for engines a permit is required for the professional sale, but not for consumer use.
  • Professional sale of skin corrosive products in hazard category 1A.

Duty of recording

If you sell chemical products that require a permit you must record information concerning:

  • the date of sale
  • the name and quantity of the product
  • the name and address of the purchaser or his business
  • whether the product has been supplied for professional handling or for private use

Products exempted from the permit obligation are also exempted from the duty of recording. However, the sale of methanol as a fuel for engines must be recorded, even when the sale is for private use. Also skin corrosive products in hazard category 1A that require permits (for example, concentrated acids), shall be recorded.

Review of the rules

In 2011, the Swedish Chemical Agency reported on a governmental assignment with the task to review these national rules.

Report 2/12: The placing on the market of very hazardous chemical products. 
(in Swedish)

The Swedish Chemical Agency has made a review in order to update which of the hazardous classes shall be considered as being very hazardous and thereby covered by the rules. This review also included an updating of the exemptions with respect to health aspects with the use and need of today. The amendments resulting from the review can be found in KIFS 2017:7.

Read more about the review of hazardous classes and exemptions  (in Swedish)

The Swedish Chemical Agency is now making a continued review of the exemptions for sodium and potassium hydroxide. This includes looking into the prohibition of liquid chemical products for drain cleaning in Ordinance 1998:944. The prohibition imply that some of those products are not allowed to be sold in Sweden. 

The prohibition in 15 § Ordinance 1998:944  (in Swedish)

Authorisations according to REACH

Please note that there are also EU based rules on authorisation for use of substances of very high concern in the REACH-regulation (EC) No 1907/2006.