Training for those who sell plant protection products

Everyone who distributes or sells plant protection products must have taken a course and received a course certificate. The course is run by the Country Administrative Board in accordance with a syllabus decided by the Swedish Chemicals Agency. The course is coordinated with the Swedish Board of Agriculture which provides training for users of plant protection products.

As of 26 November 2015, everyone who distributes or sells plant protection products must have taken the course and received a course certificate in order to distribute plant protection products. This applies to all actors in the supply chain, including holders of product authorisations, and also when selling through e-commerce.

At the time of sale of a plant protection product, there must be at least one qualified person available who can give customers information about how the product is to be used, the potential hazards to health and the environment, and how the product must be handled in order to reduce the risks. This requirement does not necessarily imply that the person in question must be present at the time the product is sold. It may be sufficient for that person to be available over the phone.

Distributors who have previously taken the Swedish Board of Agriculture course on the use of plant protection products and who have a permit as defined in the Swedish Board of Agriculture’s regulations (SJVFS 2007:76) are viewed as fulfilling the requirement for a valid course certificate. The course certificate must be renewed no later than every fifth course season.

This qualification requirement is stated in the EU Directive on the sustainable use of pesticides and has been incorporated into Swedish legislation. The regulations are stated in the Swedish Pesticides Ordinance and in the Swedish Chemicals Agency’s Pesticides Regulations.


Applying for the course is done on the Swedish Board of Agriculture website.

The course you need to take is a basic course on the outdoor use of plant protection products.

If you have questions or would like more information, contact the County Administrative Board which is running the course you are interested in.

Syllabuses for the basic course and intermediate course on the outdoor use of plant protection products. (in Swedish).

The regulations

The Swedish Board of Agriculture's Regulations (SJVFS 2007:76).

The EU Directive on the Sustainable Use of Pesticides (Directive 2009/128/EC).

The Pesticides Ordinance (2014:425).

The Swedish Chemicals Agency Pesticides Regulations (KIFS 2008:3).