The Swedish Chemicals Agency logo
The Swedish Chemicals Agency logo

Permit for research and development

You can apply for a permit for experimental use of plant protection products for research and development purposes.

You can apply either for a single experiment permit, or for an experimental testing programme permit. For a single experiment, the maximum time given is normally for a duration of two years. For an experimental testing programme, the maximum permit duration given is normally five years. Normally, a permit would not allow treatment of areas exceeding ten hectares per trial and crop.

A permit may contain limitations of the amounts of plant protection products that may be used and of what areas that may be treated. Other conditions may also be given to further reduce the risk of harmful effects on human and animal health, or on the environment. One example is that a crop treated in accordance with the permit may not be used for food or feed. Such a condition aims to prevent foodstuffs or feed containing residues above approved levels to become part of the chain of food supply. The Swedish National Food Agency is the competent authority on issues related to pesticide residues in treated crops.

The experiments should as far as possible be performed in accordance with:

Those who carry out the experiments in accordance with the permit for an experiment or a testing programme for efficacy, resistance or phytotoxicity of plant protection products should be accredited by SWEDAC, or have the corresponding accreditation in another EU member state, or act as sub-contractor to a body with such accreditation.

Permits for experiments or test programmes where genetically modified organisms are to be released into the environment require special examination and review.

Use the form MIP-0020-S to apply for a permit for research and development (currently available in Swedish only).