The Swedish Chemicals Agency logo
The Swedish Chemicals Agency logo

Every year, many children are poisoned by ethylene glycol. This substance is an ingredient in coolants and may cause severe kidney damage if swallowed. Just half a decilitre may cause life-threatening poisoning for a child. It is not unusual for dogs to be poisoned by ethylene glycol waste due to their attraction to its sweet taste.

Therefore, keep coolants away from children. Clean up any waste. Change glycol at the petrol station or garage, so as not to have to keep coolants in the home. There are alternative coolants that contain propylene glycol, which are considerably less toxic. Ask at the service station if these alternatives are suitable for your car.

Call 112 and ask for the Swedish Poisons Information Centre if a child either consumes or is exposed to something that could be hazardous.

Swedish Poisons Information Centre                          

Statistics on glycols



View all Articles and chemical products